Saturday, March 15, 2014

Chicken Chili Stew

I made this stew last week during our last (and I do hope it's the last) cold spell. I am certain Spring is here in Central Florida, the azaleas are in full bloom, the dog woods are leafing and starting to bloom and the birds are singing the "I know it's Spring time song".  I know that many of you are still experiencing cold weather, this will warm you up from the inside out. Delicious flavors and a little heat makes this a make-again.
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 small jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 4 cups no-chicken broth
  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
  • 2 cups salsa verde, store bought
  • 1 package (I actually made my own) chicken flavor seitan
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
  •  1 avocado, diced, for garnish
  • Sour cream, vegan of course, for garnish

Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeno and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add chili powder and season with salt.

Stir in the no-chicken broth, sweet potato, and salsa verde, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is just tender, about 10-12 minutes.

Stir in the seitan and beans. Reduce heat to moderately low and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. 

Stir in cilantro at the end of cooking.

Ladle into soup bowls and top with some diced avocado and a dollop of sour cream.
Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't made stew in forever. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathleen,
      I hope you'll give the strew a try and let me know what you think. Thank you for stopping by my kitchen.
      Take care,
      Glo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, it WAS yummy! Let me know what you think if you make it.
      Take care,
      Glo

      Delete