Monday, April 1, 2013

Rice and Beans Bonanza

I haven't made this in awhile, but I had some fresh asparagus left over from what was supposed to be Easter dinner, that's a different story. So, I wanted to be sure and take advantage of that fresh asparagus and this is what I did to an old favorite.
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce®
  • 1 cup rice
  • 1 package of Sazon seasoning
  • 2 cups sliced asparagus
  • 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions (greens included)
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 5 tablespoons grated non-dairy cheddar cheese 

Cook rice according to package directions adding 1 packet of Szaon seasoning to water. I used my rice cooker.

In a small bowl, whisk oil, lime juice, garlic, oregano, cumin and Tabasco sauce together: set aside. 
Meanwhile, steam asparagus, covered, in a steamer basket over boiling water until bright green. I have an old Tupperware microwave steamer that I use and cooked it for 4 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine beans, asparagus, tomatoes, scallions and cilantro.

Add the cooked rice to the bowl of veggies. Whisk lime mixture again, pour over top and mix gently.

Spoon rice and beans onto plates and sprinkle with cheese. I served this with Gardein Chipotle Lime Crispy Fingers.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Everything looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe as well.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adi- thank you for stopping by my blog. I'll go check your blog out this weekend.
      Take care,
      Gloria

      Delete