Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Mexican Lasagna

Remember those Crockpot Refried Beans I made last post? This was the reason I started that endeavor. These beans were really delicious and can be made adjusted to your taste with more or less jalapenos. After I had them ready to go I made this Mexican Lasagna or Mexican Casserole whatever you want to call it. I call it YUMMY and a make again!
  • 1 large bell pepper, chopped (I had green so that's what I used)
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 18 corn tortillas
  • 3 cups (28 ounces) refried beans
  • 2 roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1 packageTofurky Chorizo
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 1 can enchilada sauce
  • sliced black olives (optional)
  • Garnishes: shredded lettuce, avocado, vegan cheese, extra salsa, vegan sour cream, olives, jalapenos

In a non-stick skillet with 1tablespoon water, sauté the peppers, garlic, and onion for about 3 minutes, or until softened. Set aside.  (I don't know what happened to the pic! Sorry.

Spray a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray. Line the bottom with a layer of tortillas (I tried to cut them to fit the pan but you'll see in the other layers I just used 6 tortillas per layer after that). Make sure you cover the entire bottom of the pan.

Spread half of the refried beans evenly over the tortillas.

Cover the refried beans with half of the pepper-onion mixture.

Add half of the tomatoes.

Sprinkle on half of the chorizo.


Add another layer of tortillas.

another layer of beans.

The remaining sauteed veggies.

The rest of the tomatoes.

Sprinkle over the remaining chorizo. Spread the cup of salsa over this layer.

Cover with a final layer of tortillas.

Pour the enchilada sauce over the top.

Spinkle with black olives (if desired).

Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes at 375 or until hot throughout.

Let rest for about 10 minutes for easier serving. I garnished these with shredded lettuce, Toffuti sour cream and sliced avocado.
Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment