Monday, August 27, 2012

Panzanella

While there is still a bounty of summer tomatoes I wanted to make a Panzanella Salad. I love fresh tomatoes, so I grabbed a loaf of Tuscan bread from Ward's while shopping. I made this simple salad and served it along side a Tempeh Tuna Salad (that I've already made 4 times, I added about 1/2 teaspoon kelp flakes to my version to add some sea flavor). This made a delightful, light Saturday lunch.
  • 2 cups day old Tuscan bread, cubed
  • 1 large cucumber, peeled and cubed
  • 3 tomatoes cubed
  • 1 large handful of basil torn into bite sized pieces
  • 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt

Cube the bread , place in a large bowl and set aside.

Peel and cube the cucumber and add to the bowl.

Hold the tomatoes over the bowl while you core and cube them. You want any of that dripping juice to land in your bowl. 

Drizzle olive oil and balsamic over the the ingredients in the bowl. Toss well to coat all the ingredients.

Tear the basil into bite sized pieces, removing large stems and add to the bowl.

Sprinkle with salt and toss again. 

Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes to allow the tomatoes to release some of their juices and for the bread to absorb some of the oil and vinegar.
Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment