Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mushroom Pizza Bites

I love mushrooms, I love pizza and I put mushrooms on my pizza. So, when I came across a recipe that used mushroom caps to replace dough I knew I was gonna try it. I'm hooked - I've made these at least 3 times since I first tried them. These are bite-sized, toss it back awesomeness (is that a word?) I want to try these using a large portabella cap. Ummmm
  • 1 package medium-sized cremini mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup pizza sauce (more or less)
  • 1 cup shredded non-dairy cheese (I used a Mexican blend with these) use what you have on hand
  • Pizza toppings of your choice (I used vegan pepperoni and onions - I've also included chopped black olives - again use what you have on hand and enjoy on  your regular pizza)

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Wipe the mushrooms clean and snap the stems off (I saved the stems for another use).

Using a paring knife -  I cut around the top to give me more surface area then gently scrape out some of the insides of the mushroom caps, being careful not to crack the cap. Don’t scrape out too much or your mushroom pizza bites will be flimsy and collapse.

Bake the mushrooms on a non-stick sprayed, foil-lined baking sheet for 6 minutes. Pour out any liquid that’s pooled in the caps.

Chop your topping so they fit inside the caps.
vegan pepperoni and vidalia onion
Spoon 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pizza sauce into each cup.

Now fill with desired pizza toppings.

Add shredded cheese.

Bake about 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment