Monday, April 16, 2012

Pesto Pasta with Roasted Veggies

I decided to fire up the grill the other night and roast some fresh veggies that needed attention and broke out some frozen pesto ice cubes I'd made a little while back. Basically, cut your veggies, get the water going for the pasta and pull those frozen pesto cubes from the freezer and set out to be thawing. This is a delicious way to use up whatever fresh veggies you have in the house.

1 zucchini, sliced into half moons
1 squash, sliced into half moons
1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
6-8 asparagus spears cut into 1 inch or so sections
1 sweet onion, cut into bite sized pieces

Cut veggies and toss into large baggies with a little olive oil and some seasonings. Close the bag and gently shake to coat all the veggies.

Spray you grill pan lightly just to be sure your veggies don't stick.

I put my grill pan on a cookie sheet and poured the veggie mixture on it to transport it outside.

Cook on the grill until desired doneness. I like a little char on mine and use a heat high so they don't get soft but cook quickly. I use two wooden spoons to toss on a regular basis.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.

Toss pasta with pesto. This is the pesto recipe I used except I used walnuts - I'd bought in bulk for a lot less then pine nuts are going for these days.

When veggies are done but the grilling pan back on the cookie sheet and bring indoors. You could add some nutritional yeast or vegan parm at this point.

Put some pasta in your dish and top with the roasted veggies. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete