Thursday, September 8, 2011

Red Beans & Rice

The weather turned a little cooler (if the high 80's is cooler for you) and I have been thinking about a big bowl of yummy. I like to use my slow cooker on occasion and when I came across this recipe, I just knew I was going to make it vegan. One of the best things about this dish is you DO NOT soak the beans, just dump it all in and turn it on.
  • 1 pound dried red beans
  • 3 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 sweet onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
  • 1 package Field Roast Italian Sausage, thinly sliced 
  • Hot cooked long-grain rice
  • Hot sauce (optional)
  • Garnish: finely chopped green onions, finely chopped red onion

Combine first 7 ingredients and 7 cups water in a 4-qt. slow cooker.

Cover and cook on HIGH 7 hours or until beans are tender. Add the sausage and cook until they are good and hot. I cooked on low for about an hour to help the flavors marry.


Give a final stir before serving.

Serve red bean mixture with hot cooked rice, and, if desired, hot sauce. Garnish, if desired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment